Wednesday 27 November 2013

On Ian Watkins, Jimmy Savile and the hopeful downfall of celebrity culture



It seems another entertainer has been ensnared by the proverbial witch hunt gripping the nation. Ian Watkins of Welsh band, Lostprophets, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a baby last night, making him the first musician since Gary Glitter to be charged since the onslaught of ‘Savilegate.’

Hundreds of people across the country are saying their childhood has been wiped clean from them by the press revealing the disgusting underworld of Savile and co. Comedy writer Graham Linehan mentioned how sad things must be for all those children who weren’t abused on Jim’ll Fix It and how they should get their own back on the cigar chomping weirdo.

But I for one, am actually enjoying the goings on of Operation Yewtree and anything linked to the Savile enquiry. The reason for this, is I just don’t believe in role models. That’s what celebrity culture is built on: worship of an idol, and role models have always appeared to be a form of idolisation encouraged to keep young people from breaking the mould of society.



I remember in school being told to be a good role model for younger pupils, something which I despised, not because I hated the little brats, but because I’ve always had a problem with heroes. I never wanted to be a hero, nor have I ever regarded a celebrity or notable individual as a hero/heroine.

What I’m saying here, is don’t have heroes, and 'Savilegate' is exposing the side of the celebrity which you would never even touch upon in your wildest dreams. Like all parts of society, every person has a Blue Velvet lining (note the David Lynch reference there). You never know who is going to stab you in the back and trample your dreams forever – and all the keen Lostprophets fans are the latest to know this. Celebrity culture, in my opinion, has gone too far and has downgraded humanity to a shadow of its former self. Because of people like Savile we gobble up cheap gameshows and reality television without a single thought otherwise. Britain has been regarded by outsiders as a nation that is easily attracted to trash, and I hope that with the seizing of these celebrities we will know to look over our shoulders more when it comes to the new faces of TV and culture.

I never enjoyed the works of Lostprophets, but my brother was a keen fan in his youth. He mentioned to me the other day how ‘uncomfortable’ he feels remembering that he used to have a Lostprophets poster on his wall when he was 13. The best I can wish for now, is nobody will even dare to play their music at any parties or gatherings now that Watkins has admitted to his crimes.

With all that said and done, I’ll leave Power Quest to play us out:


No comments:

Post a Comment